Friday, September 17, 2010

Reflection on Vicki Davis' Blog

The excitement
I enjoyed reading Vivki Davis’ Blog, her idea are exciting and includes technology all the way. I thought about this video while I read her blog and thought it necessary to share. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnHdqpE4RM&feature=related I particularly like the way she links and uses Google which is a popular search engine to bring all the class activities together. She utilizes the site for lesson plans display for her student to know what’s happening. I especially love how she keeps track of these using the “assignment tag”.
Mrs. Davis is very organized, she has obviously given a lot of thought into arranging her page according to various classes, making it easy for students to navigate the pages and get from one item to the next.
In viewing her blog, I could help to think that Mrs. Davis touched on what I call a very “difficult” topic in many school, the “cell phone”. Almost every school has a cell phone policy, 90% of the times it will say, NO CELL phones in the building. It was interesting that Mrs. Davis herself has that policy in the school she now works and how tolerant of her idea the principal was. Her idea of using the very tool that most of our students spend most of their free time on as a part of the teaching/learning process is brilliant. I am however concern that this might not go so easy for other teachers in other schools based on the school culture they are in.
Technology is being used to the fullest in these classes, and students are being met on familiar, relevant grounds. The students themselves seem productive as their interests are being stimulated. I love that fact that the teacher is also very passionate about what she does as is evident in her wanting them to be productive and manage their lives well!

Mrs. Davis made a valuable point about preparing these students for the future. It is indeed these children that are going to take over the future of our country and technological advances. If we don’t prepare them to use the very tools that they are going to be required to manipulate, what have we accomplish as teachers? I absolutely agree with her about us adults, educators, and leaders being more open to saying “I’ll try it”than“no”. I find myself feeling a little guilty as I am one to say no, especially when it’s a written policy. We need to be more open minded about the use of all technology not just what we think is important. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnz9YIpOOT8
The scary part
While I admire Mrs. Davis courage to take on these challenges in a day where many schools have a no tolerable policy against cell phones in school, I find myself thinking this is not a battle I would be willing to fight. I do believe that as a technology/Business teacher she does have an “edge” over the average classroom teacher’. I also thought about how that policy would be out the door if all the teachers in her school also decided to plan lessons encouraging students to use the cell phones. The school district I work for outright forbids the use of cell phones in the school buildings, even the teachers are told to keep their phones off  (PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View). Just recently the principal of my school has taken drastic measures to enforce the policy as set out in the handbook for students http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/components/docmgr/default.php?sectiondetailid=6340&fileitem=26200&catfilter=ALL.  To be honest, although I encourage the use of technology in educating our students in this age where your cell phones, television, computer and radio are all one device, that’s a battle I wouldn’t fight. The reality is that many businesses also have the policy in place and in a sense we are training students that not everywhere in the “real world” will allow them to use their cell phones. This too is teaching responsibility and accountability.
Finally I look at the amount of time spent creating these pages. This is obviously time -consuming, and I wonder where I would find time in my day to do all this, when I barely get a chance to read my school emails in the days. For a teacher of technology/business it might be easy, what about the average teacher.

8 comments:

  1. The students are definitely being stimulated. I wish that more principals are as tolerant as Vicki's principal...

    Imagine the technological possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teachergirl you have raised a very valid point. Many school systems have a no cell phone policy and so for many of us Vicki's feat would probably be insurmountable. The sensitive and challenging nature of cell phone usage makes me timid to even think of this idea much less implement it. Plus it was through this blog that I realize how much a cell phone can multi-task. Can you imagine how my students - whoi are masters of the system - would wrap me up? Very cogent points. Thanks much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not many of us are will to take the steps to try something as innovative as Ms. Davis cell phone in class especially when the school has a no cell phone policy.
    One suggestion is to that with what is permissible and some of the web 2.0 tools are, hightlight the benefits (in our N-Gen students ) and this course is teaching us how to; who knows hnows we may have more freedom with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post. The videos were very relevant.
    I agree with your views. Mrs. Davis has an edge over most teachers as she teaches technology. However, she was very brave to approach her administrator. Nonetheless, her principal should also be commended for supporting her and her strategies. I particularly like how she got them motivated and engaged in her class

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too enjoyed reading Vicki's blog. She is a teacher who is well organized and it takes me back to Wendy. i was showing some of my teacher friends the video and they were shocked as to how well she used this device to enhance education. We all know that the cell phone is a powerful device, but we still did not think along the line as to use it in the classroom. You also states that it stimulated the students and that is what we need to do to get our students interested in academics. Most of us teachers and administrators are not open to new things, especially the usage of cell phone in the classroom. This would cause a lot of problems in my county. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First I must commend you on a well written blog. Then I am going right to the end of your blog to say that I agree with your comment that not all teachers will find the time to set up such a network for their students to use in the classroom. As for myself, I am like, I rarely get to even view my email during the day uch less all these other things.

    As you said, this teacher must be commended for tackling such an issue as the use of telephones in the classroom. She has done a great job of integrating it and to have her principal on board is an added bonus.

    My shared concern with you is, where would we find the time????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time is definitely a concern, but maybe a greater concern is that we - as teachers - in the business of learning - seem willing to accept "average" and not do the very thing we want our students to do - learn and evolve. And I am not attacking any of you in this class - it is a common (unfortunately) practice nation wide. At the very time when amazing opportunities are opening to our students, our reaction seems to be - "that is not how I learned..."

    Or am I wrong, is that inaccurate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that being a technology teacher gives Vicki an edge over the regular ed teacher. I also believe that for this very reason her principal maybe advocated for her in the case of the cell phone issue. Whatever the reason, I agree with you that reading her blog brings about a new excitement that makes me want to take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete